Equestrian Club Quick Facts:History
The Maryville College Equestrian Team was founded in 1994 by the current coach and manager, Christen Khym. Christen rode, coached and managed the team as a student at Maryville College and was the first member of the team to attend the National Intercollegiate Horse Show Association Championship. The team has been nationally ranked, and many individual riders have represented Maryville College at the Nationals. The team qualified for Nationals in 2006.
- Team is a member of the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association- Zone 5, Region 1.
- Team participates in IHSA hunter seat horse shows.
- Team attends at least eight IHSA shows each year, with the potential to qualify for regional, zone, and national competition.
- Team roster includes riders ranging in experience from none through national competition.
- Team owns and has access to a diverse group of horses with varying skill levels.
- The program is located at Penrose Farm, which consists of 130 acres of pastures, rolling hills and woodland trails in the heart of West Knoxville. Penrose Farm is a full-service boarding facility including 20 stalls, paddock and pasture board, a covered arena and three outdoor arenas.