Maryville College's Austin Smith defeated Christopher Malpartida on Tuesday, as the Scots fell to USA South foe Berea College, 8-1.
Smith rallied from a 2-6 opening set defeat, taking the second and the tiebreaker from Malpartida. Smith won 6-1 before taking the matches tiebreaker, 10-6, to earn the first victory of the season for the Scots.
Cole Stinson narrowly missed a victory in the second seed, as he took Michael Malpartida to a tiebreaker, as well. The twin narrowly defeated Stinson in extras, 10-4.
The duo of Smith and Stinson also narrowly missed a doubles victory together, taking Michael Malpartida and Dakota Massucco to an 8-5 score in the top-seeded doubles competition.
Maryville College will return to action on Saturday, March 30. The Scots play host to USA South foe LaGrange College, as first serve is set for 2 p.m.
Men's Tennis Match Results
Maryville College vs Berea College
Mar 26, 2019 at Berea, Ky.
Berea College 8, Maryville College 1
1. Austin Smith (MVCM) def. Christopher Malpartida (BCM) 2-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Michael Malpartida (BCM) def. Cole Stinson (MVCM) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-4)
3. Jose Ignacio Perez (BCM) def. Beau Branton (MVCM) 6-1, 6-3
4. Dakota Massucco (BCM) def. Egan Spoltore (MVCM) 6-1, 6-0
5. James Weaver (BCM) def. Andre Matamoros (MVCM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Sam Slater (BCM) def. Caleb Underdown (MVCM) 6-0, 6-0
Huntingdon College 2-6, 2-5 USA South
Maryville College 0-10, 0-7 USA South