MC's Underdown earned his first victory of the season, as he defeated Carlos Stewart in a back-and-forth match. Underdown won the game, 6-3, as Stewart rallied for a 6-1 victory in game two. The match went to extras, as Underdown took the victory with a 12-10 tiebreak score.
Smith earned a victory in the top singles match, also taking the win by tiebreak. Smith fell in the opening game to Jacob Hughen, 6-3, but he rallied for a 6-3 win of his own in the second. The top-seeded Scots dominated the tiebreaker, 10-4, to earn the victory.
Smith and Stinson also played Hughen and Grant Holder close in doubles, taking the match to an 8-4 score.
Maryville will step back into USA South play on Wednesday, April 3. The Scots will face Brevard College on the MC Tennis Courts with first serve set for 1:00 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Oakland City University vs Maryville College Men's Tennis
Mar 31, 2019 at Knoxville, Tenn.
Oakland City University 7, Maryville College Men's Tennis 2
1. Austin Smith (MVCM) def. Jacob Hughen (OCUM) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Kaleb Knepp (OCUM) def. Cole Stinson (MVCM) 7-6 (10-2), 6-3
3. Grant Holder (OCUM) def. Beau Branton (MVCM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jonathan Holsapple (OCUM) def. Egan Spoltore (MVCM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Trent Bowman (OCUM) def. Andre Matamoros (MVCM) 6-3, 6-2
6. Caleb Underdown (MVCM) def. Carlos Stewart (OCUM) 6-3, 1-6, 1-0 (12-10)
Oakland City University 3-10
Maryville College Men's Tennis 0-12